The study program MoDE in general

Does the MoDE carry any tuition fees?

No, there are no tuition fees neither for German nor for international students. However, students will have to pay a semester fee at Viadrina, which currently sums up to around 320€ per half year and includes a ticket for public transport, costs for student ID cards and a registration fee. The amount varies every semester and might increase slightly over time.

I don’t have any programming skills at all. Can I still study the MoDE?

Yes, you can. Skills in programming are not required for applying to the MoDE. However, you should be ready to gain at least some basic skills in the course of your studies as they are part of the curriculum. Technical knowledge and skills, such as programming, data analytics and web development, are crucial for being able to apply and deal with digital technologies.

I don’t have any background in business or technology. Can I still study the MoDE?

Yes, you can. In the first two semesters, we'll provide all students with a broad, transdisciplinary access to basic issues of digitalization, from the perspective of economics, law, sociology and technology. In addition, you'll acquire practical entrepreneurial, legal and technical knowledge and skills, whereby the courses are selected according to your individual previous knowledge in the field and your respective project.

How many students will be enrolled in the program?

The final number of students who will be allowed to enroll in the program depends on the number of applications. Currently, the program is designed for approx. 30 students.

I am currently studying a Master’s at another university. Can I use some of my ECTS?

Generally speaking: Yes. However, the final decision whether you can use some of your ECTS from former Master programs in the MoDE rests with the Examination Board and can only be answered on a case by case basis.

Can I do an exchange semester?

Yes, of course. Although the MoDE does not require an exchange semester, you are welcome to broaden your experience doing one. You can find more information on our partner universities and the different possibilities for your time abroad on the Website of the International Office.

International Office

I would like to attend courses of the MoDE as an international exchange student - is that possible?

Generally yes! As an exchange student, you can take courses from any faculty and any study level - as long as your home university agrees to this and there are no objections in the course description. Please find a list of non-German courses offered in the previous semesters here. You can find the course catalog of the current semester on our website

Interested in coming to the European University Viadrina as an exchange student? Visit the website of the International Office for more information. 

What about funding and scholarships?

The ENS does not provide own funding for incoming students. There are, however, various scholarship opportunities at the European University Viadrina, which you can find on the website of the International Office.

International Office

Which visa do I need?

Please apply for a visa at a German embassy in your home country well ahead of your planned arrival. Due to the fact that lectures are taking place at the Collegium Polonicum in Slubice (Poland), you will also have to apply for an entrance visa to Poland. Please contact the Polish embassy in your home country in good time. 

For more information and support in visa procurement, please check the website of the International Office.

I have worked for some years but want to study (again). Can I apply for MoDE?

Yes, of course. We believe that diversity can drive the productivity of teams. With your professional experience, you bring a lot of valuable knowledge and competence. You can expand your experience by carrying out new tasks, e.g. as a mentor for other students. At ENS, you will have the chance to boost your career or get ready for a new professional field. If you are still unsure whether the ENS is the right place for you, do not hesitate to contact us for individual support.

Can I learn German or Polish?

Yes, we encourage you to use your time at ENS and learn German, Polish or any other language you would like to study. We are currently building up our own German and Polish language courses. Additionally, you can take part in the courses offered by the Language Centre of Viadrina or by the Language Centre at Collegium Polonicum.

How many hours of study per week is required for the MoDE? Is there time left for part-time jobs?

The MoDE is a full-time study program. However, many students in Germany work part-time. if you aim at working besides your studies, we recommend you to look for a job with flexible working hours (not more than 20h per week) and one that is ideally related to your study program as this creates new learning opportunities.

How large are the seminars and lectures?

We will try our best to make it feel like a true community at ENS. Most of the seminars will take place in small groups with 10 to max. 30 people, depending on the topic and format. Like this, we can ensure that you take the most out of your learning experience at ENS and get individual support by our academic staff.

Is it possible to do a PhD at ENS after graduating from the MoDE?

Principally yes. We aim at establishing a PhD program providing candidates with an innovative program adapted to their individual research focus.

Application Process

I hold an international academic degree. How can I apply for the MoDE?

If you hold an international academic degree, you can follow the regular application process. We will check the equivalence of your bachelor’s degree and let you know if any questions come up. If you are not sure how to proceed, please find a detailed 5-Step-Guide here. For a list of documents you will need as an international student, please follow this link.

I am currently enrolled at a German University. Do I have to apply through viaCampus?
Yes. ViaCampus is the only platform we use for our application process.
Can I use ECTS from my former master's degree instead of my bachelor's degree?

Yes. You can upload your master’s degree instead of your bachelor’s to proof that you have acquired at least 10 ECTS in either social sciences (or a related subject, e.g. political science), economic sciences, law or technical sciences. However, please note that you cannot mix your bachelor’s and master’s, i.e., you cannot use the final grade of your bachelor’s while at the same time using credits from your master’s.

Do I have to cover all mentioned aspects in my motivation letter?

Not specifically. Please send us a project idea that outlines an innovative and well-founded entrepreneurial scheme, aiming at providing a socially and ecologically sustainable solution to a problem or challenge of the digital society. That means you can elaborate more on the parts you are sure about but also include questions you would like to answer during your study program to make your project idea fly. However, we think that the scheme we provided includes rather important aspects and we recommend to at least touch upon them.

Possible entrepreneurial project ideas could be: an application that accompanies migrants on their way to a save country, a platform for organising sustainable consumption, a company offering online nursing of relatives in need of care, etc. There are no limits to creativity.

Can I submit less than five pages for my motivation letter?

Of course. If you have the feeling that you can cover all four aspects (challenges of digital transformation; your entrepreneurship idea; sustainability and financing; your expectations from the study program) in less than five pages, there is no problem.

I have not finished my Bachelor's (or equivalent) so far. Can I still apply to the MoDE?

Yes, you can! Please read these instructions on how to proceed. You will have to hand in your final degree a day before the Master program starts at the latest.

Which documents do I have to submit via mail?

None! During the application process, all documents can be submitted online. The form "Request for admission" which needs to be downloaded from viaCampus, can be sent via e-mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Later, during the enrollment process, all documents have to be submitted as originals.

What are the selection criteria?

According to §4, No. 2 of the statutory order for admission and registration for the Master of Digital Entrepreneurship, the ranking order is established by the grade of the first university degree or the preliminary average grade (51%) and by the following additional selection criteria: The motivation letter will enter into the ranking order with 22%, proof of qualifications (CV with certificates about subject-related achievements) with 15% and the results of the interview with 12%. In the event of a draw, the decision will be made by lot.

How do I prepare for the interview?

You have submitted your application documents and got short-listed? Very good, you almost made it! There are no surprises or assessment tests waiting for you during the interview, we just want to get to know you better and hear about your motivation to study at ENS. Also, we would like to give you the possibility to ask your questions. We are looking forward to meeting you – virtually or in Slubice!

Language Certificates

I have an English certificate but do not know if it is the correct one. How do I find out?

You can find a list of accepted certificates below. Please note that we do not accept any other language certificates. Your original certificate must be presented at the latest at the time of enrollment.

List of accepted certificates


As admission prerequisite, applicants must proof that they have fluency in written and spoken English corresponding to level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). The following certificates are accepted as proof of English language proficiency:

Please note:

1. We do not accept any language certificate besides the above mentioned.
2. Original certificates must at the latest be presented at the time of enrollment.
3. Please arrange for the language certificate to be sent directly from the test institute to the admissions office.
Copies – notarized or not – will not be accepted.
4. Only prospective students whose bachelor degree was completed in one of the following countries do not need to provide proof of English language proficiency: Australia, Ireland, Canada, Malta, New Zealand, South Africa, UK, USA.

The score of my English certificate is lower than demanded. Can I still apply?
To ensure a proper academic communication, we need you to proof a level of C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Therefore, the scores you have obtained in your certificates have to be equal or above the required level.
My English certificate is older than two years. Can I still use it for my application?
That depends on the certificate you hold. The Cambridge Certificates CAE & CPE and the UNIcert certificate do not expire, which means that you can use it. IELTS (Academic), TOEFL (iBT) and TOEIC certificates are valid for a period of two years, but as long as the day of your test does not date back more than three years, we still accept your score.

© 2021 European New School of Digital Studies (ENS)

Physical address:

Building: Collegium Polonicum (CP)
Ul. Kosciuszki 1
69-100 Slubice, Poland
Room CP 100

Postal address:

Stiftung Europa-Universität Viadrina
Große Scharrnstrasse 59
15230 Frankfurt (Oder), Germany


Phone: +49 (0)335 5534 16 6780
E-Mail: ens [at]