Skip to main content

The study program MoDE in general

Does the MoDE carry any tuition fees?

No, there are no tuition fees neither for German nor for international students. However, students will have to pay a semester fee at Viadrina, which currently sums up to around 320€ per half year and includes a ticket for public transport, costs for student ID cards and a registration fee. The amount varies every semester and might increase slightly over time.

I don’t have any programming skills at all. Can I still study the MoDE?

Yes, you can. Skills in programming are not required for applying to the MoDE. You will, however, gain some technical skills in the course of your studies as they are crucial for being able to apply and deal with digital technologies.

I don’t have any background in business or technology. Can I still study the MoDE?

Yes, you can. In the first two semesters, we'll provide all students with a broad, transdisciplinary access to basic issues of digitalization, from the perspective of economics, law, sociology and technology. In addition, you'll acquire practical entrepreneurial, legal and technical knowledge and skills, whereby the courses are selected according to your individual previous knowledge in the field and your respective project.

How many students will be enrolled in the program?

The final number of students who will be allowed to enroll in the program depends on the number of applications. Currently, the program is designed for approx. 30 students.

I am currently studying a Master’s at another university. Can I use some of my ECTS?

Generally speaking: Yes. However, the final decision whether you can use some of your ECTS from former Master programs in the MoDE rests with the Examination Board and can only be answered on a case by case basis.

Can I do an exchange semester?

Yes, of course. Although the MoDE does not require an exchange semester, you are welcome to broaden your experience doing one. You can find more information on our partner universities and the different possibilities for your time abroad on the website of Viadrina International Affairs.

I would like to attend courses of the MoDE as an international exchange student - is that possible?

Generally yes. As an exchange student, you can take courses from any faculty and any study level - as long as your home university agrees to this and there are no objections in the course description. Please note that not all of our courses are open for exchange students. Please contact the lecturer directly.

Interested in coming to the European University Viadrina as an exchange student? Visit the website of Viadrina International Affairs for more information. 

What about funding and scholarships?

The ENS does not provide own funding for incoming students. There are, however, various scholarship opportunities at the European University Viadrina, which you can find on the website of Viadrina International Affairs.

Which visa do I need?

Please apply for a German or Polish visa at the respective embassy in your home country well ahead of your planned arrival. For more information and support in visa procurement, please check the website of Viadrina International Affairs.

I have worked for some years but want to study (again). Can I apply for the MoDE?

Yes, of course. We believe that diversity can drive the productivity of teams. With your professional experience, you bring a lot of valuable knowledge and competence. You can expand your experience by carrying out new tasks, e.g. as a mentor for other students. At ENS, you will have the chance to boost your career or get ready for a new professional field. If you are still unsure whether the ENS is the right place for you, do not hesitate to contact us for individual support.

Can I learn German or Polish?

Yes, we encourage you to use your time at ENS and learn German, Polish or any other language you would like to study. Please check the course offers by the Language Centre of Viadrina, the Language Centre at Collegium Polonicum or the Viadrina Sprachen GmbH.

How many hours of study per week is required for the MoDE? Is there time left for part-time jobs?

The MoDE is a full-time study program. However, many students in Germany work part-time. if you aim at working besides your studies, we recommend you to look for a job with flexible working hours (not more than 20h per week) and one that is ideally related to your study program and could be recognized as the (mandatory) internship which is part of the MoDE.

How large are the seminars and lectures?

We will try our best to make it feel like a true community at ENS. Most of the seminars will take place in small groups with 10 to max. 30 people, depending on the topic and format. Like this, we can ensure that you take the most out of your learning experience at ENS and get individual support by our academic staff.

Is it possible to do a PhD at ENS after graduating from the MoDE?

Principally yes. We are currently building up a PhD program and will inform you about openings on a regular basis.

Application Process

What are the selection criteria?

According to §4 of the statutory order for admission and registration for the Master of Digital Entrepreneurship, the ranking order is established by the grade of the first university degree or the preliminary average grade (51%) and by the following additional selection criteria: The project outline will enter into the ranking order with 30%, the motivation letter with 10% and the portfolio with 9%. In the event of a draw, the decision will be made by lot.

I hold an international academic degree. How can I apply for the MoDE?

If you hold an international academic degree, your application will be processed by uni-assist. If you are not sure how to proceed, please find a detailed 5-Step-Guide here. If you experience any dificulties, please send us an This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Can I use ECTS from my former master's degree instead of my bachelor's degree?

Yes. You can upload your master’s degree instead of your bachelor’s to proof that you have acquired at least 10 ECTS in either social sciences (or a related subject, e.g. political science), economic sciences, law or technical sciences. However, please note that you cannot mix your bachelor’s and master’s, i.e., you cannot use the final grade of your bachelor’s while at the same time using credits from your master’s.

Can I submit less than two pages for my motivation letter?

Of course. If you have the feeling that you can cover all aspects in less than two pages, there is no problem.

Which documents do I have to submit via mail?

None! During the application process, all documents can be submitted online.

Language Certificates

I have an English certificate but do not know if it is the correct one. How do I find out?

You can find a list of accepted certificates here. Please note that we do not accept any other language certificates. Your original certificate must be presented at the latest at the time of enrollment.

The score of my English certificate is lower than demanded. Can I still apply?
To ensure a proper academic communication, we need you to proof a level of C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Therefore, the scores you have obtained in your certificates have to be equal or above the required level.
My English certificate is older than two years. Can I still use it for my application?
That depends on the certificate you hold. The Cambridge Certificates CAE & CPE and the UNIcert certificate do not expire, which means that you can use it. IELTS (Academic), TOEFL (iBT) and TOEIC certificates are valid for a period of two years, but as long as the day of your test does not date back more than three years, we still accept your score.